Law Office of Martha McKee
A Family Law Firm
Based in Durham
And Serving The Triangle Area

Understanding Spousal Support Before and After Divorce

Divorce often brings about feelings of financial uncertainty. If you have been a stay-at-home parent/spouse, working part time or recently employed, you may be worried about supporting yourself after the divorce. If you are the “breadwinner” of the family, you may be concerned about having to pay monthly support to your soon-to-be ex-spouse.

The Law Office of Martha McKee guides clients through every aspect of their family law case, including spousal support. As an attorney with more than 25 years of experience, I understand how spousal support and/or alimony is determined and the arguments that often prove most compelling in reaching those decisions.

Factors Considered In Spousal Support Awards

In order to establish the right to spousal support and/or alimony, the Court must determine the existence of a dependent spouse and a supporting spouse (usually based on disparities in income). The Court also weighs factors including:

  • Monetary earnings of each spouse.
  • The length of the marriage.
  • The properties and investment that each spouse brought into their marriage.
  • The overall needs of each spouse.
  • The misconduct of both spouses. In North Carolina, adultery, abandonment and other issues such as alcohol abuse and domestic violence can be considerations in spousal support claims.
  • Whether the support should be temporary (limited alimony) or permanent (lifetime alimony).

Whether you are seeking spousal support or being asked to pay it, I will help you make the strongest argument for why spousal support is or is not appropriate.

For Dependable Advice, Contact An Experienced Law Firm

Based in Durham, The Law Office of Martha McKee serves clients throughout the Triangle area. I will guide you through the divorce process, provide dependable and trustworthy advice and help prepare you for a new life ahead. To arrange your initial consultation, call me at 919-241-5254, or send me an email.